BILL NO. 88
2nd Session, 63rd General Assembly
68 Elizabeth II, 2019
Private Member's Bill
Auditor General Act
First Reading: February 28, 2019
Clause 1 adds a definition of "Healthcare Outcomes Auditor" and amends the definition of "Office".
Clause 2 provides for the appointment of the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor.
Clause 3 establishes the duties and powers of the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor.
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 Section 2 of Chapter 33 of the Acts of 2010, the Auditor General Act, as amended by Chapter 30 of the Acts of 2015, is further amended by
- (ha) "Healthcare Outcomes Auditor" means the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor appointed pursuant to Section 6A;
2 Chapter 33 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 6 the following Section:
- 6A (1) On the advice of the Auditor General, the Governor in Council shall appoint a Healthcare Outcomes Auditor who holds office during pleasure.
(3) Subject to subsection (6), the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor shall be paid a salary determined by the Auditor General in accordance with the annual salary rates for associate deputy ministers set out in the pay plan for associate deputy ministers together with any other remuneration payable to associate deputy ministers.
(4) Subject to subsection (6), the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor is entitled to all the benefits and privileges provided to employees of the Civil Service under the Civil Service Act and the Public Service Superannuation Act.
(5) In the absence of a Healthcare Outcomes Auditor, the Auditor General may temporarily appoint an Acting Healthcare Outcomes Auditor or may temporarily delegate the powers and duties of the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor to an assistant auditor general.
3 Chapter 33 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 25 the following Sections:
- 25A (1) In this Section and Section 25B, "IWK Health Centre" and "provincial health authority" have the same meanings as in the Health Authorities Act.
(2) The duty of the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor is to independently attest to the performance of the IWK Health Centre and the provincial health authority in delivering quality healthcare to persons in the Province.
(3) Where the auditable entity for an audit or investigation under this Act is the IWK Health Centre or the provincial health authority, that audit or investigation shall be conducted by the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor.
(4) For greater certainty, where the auditable entity for an audit or investigation under this Act is not the IWK Health Centre or the provincial health authority, that audit or investigation shall be conducted by the Auditor General.
25B (1) In addition to conducting audits or investigations pursuant to Section 25A, the Healthcare Outcomes Auditor shall oversee standards of care, outcomes and governance with respect to the IWK Health Centre and the provincial health authority.
25C (1) The Healthcare Outcomes Auditor shall make public immediately the results of audits and investigations conducted pursuant to subsection 25A(3) and on any recommendations made pursuant to subsection 25B(3).
(3) The Auditor General shall report the results of audits and investigations conducted pursuant to subsection 25A(3) and any recommendations made pursuant to subsection 25B(3) to the House of Assembly.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2019 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created February 28, 2019. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.