BILL NO. 233
2nd Session, 63rd General Assembly
69 Elizabeth II, 2020
Smoke-free Places Act (amended)
Tobacco Access Act (amended)
CHAPTER 18 OF THE ACTS OF 2020
The Honourable Randy Delorey
Minister of Health and Wellness
First Reading: February 27, 2020 (LINK TO BILL AS INTRODUCED)
Second Reading: March 3, 2020
Third Reading: March 10, 2020
Royal Assent: March 10, 2020
An Act to Amend Chapter 12
of the Acts of 2002,
the Smoke-free Places Act,
and Chapter 14 of the Acts of 1993,
the Tobacco Access Act
1 Section 2 of Chapter 12 of the Acts of 2002, the Smoke-free Places Act, as amended by Chapter 59 of the Acts of 2005, Chapter 58 of the Acts of 2014, Chapter 3 of the Acts of 2018 and Chapter 9 of the Acts of 2019, is further amended by adding immediately after clause (ea) the following clause:
- (eb) "patio" means an outdoor area that is used or operated as part of, or in conjunction with, a restaurant or a place licensed to serve alcoholic beverages;
2 (1) Subsection 5(3) of Chapter 12 is repealed and the following subsection substituted:
- (3) No person shall smoke on a patio.
3 (1) Subsection 11(1) of Chapter 12 is amended by adding "or electronic cigarettes" immediately after "tobacco" in the second line.
- (6A) An item forfeited under subsection (6) may be disposed of as the Minister directs.
4 Section 3 of Chapter 14 of the Acts of 1993, the Tobacco Access Act, as amended by Chapter 12 of the Acts of 1999, Chapter 58 of the Acts of 2014 and Chapter 26 of the Acts of 2015, is further amended by
- (e) "tobacco" means tobacco in any form, intended to be consumed in any manner, and, for greater certainty, includes snuff, tobacco leaves, any extract of tobacco leaves and electronic cigarettes, but does not include any food, drug or device that contains nicotine to which the Food and Drugs Act (Canada) applies;
5 Section 7 of Chapter 14, as amended by Chapter 12 of the Acts of 1999 and Chapter 26 of the Acts of 2015, is further amended by
- (e) tobacco with a nicotine concentration above the amount prescribed in the regulations; or
6 Chapter 14 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 10 the following Sections:
- 10A (1) An enforcement officer may seize without a warrant any thing that is produced to the enforcement officer or that is in plain view during an inspection that the enforcement officer believes may be used as evidence of an offence.
(5) Where a person is convicted of an offence under this Act, in addition to any penalty imposed, any thing seized pursuant to this Act or the regulations by means of or in relation to which the offence was committed is forfeited to Her Majesty in right of the Province.
10C (1) Where an enforcement officer finds that a vendor or an employee of a vendor is not complying with a provision of this Act or the regulations, the enforcement officer may order the vendor or the employee of a vendor to comply with the provision and may require the order to be carried out immediately or within such period of time as the enforcement officer specifies.
7 Section 12 of Chapter 14, as amended by Chapter 12 of the Acts of 1999, Chapter 58 of the Acts of 2014 and Chapter 26 of the Acts of 2015, is further amended by adding immediately after subsection (4) the following subsections:
- (5) In a prosecution for a contravention of clause (e) of Section 7, an indication on a container or package of tobacco of the nicotine concentration of the tobacco is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, of the nicotine concentration of the tobacco.
(6) In a prosecution for a contravention of clause (f) of Section 7, an indication on an electronic cigarette or the packaging of an electronic cigarette of the maximum capacity of the electronic cigarette is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, of the maximum capacity of the electronic cigarette.
- (aba) prescribing a maximum nicotine concentration for tobacco, including different maximum concentrations for different forms of tobacco;
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2020 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created March 10, 2020. Send comments to email@example.com.