BILL NO. 73
2nd Session, 63rd General Assembly
67 Elizabeth II, 2018
Private Member's Bill
Safer Homes Act
The Honourable Pat Dunn
First Reading: September 28, 2018
This Bill requires
(b) a housing authority to remedy any non-compliance with any minimum standards prescribed by the applicable municipal by-laws within 90 days of being notified or otherwise becoming aware of the non-compliance; and
(c) a housing authority to inform Housing Nova Scotia about the maintenance performed in each year on its housing and Housing Nova Scotia to include such information in its annual accountability report.
An Act to Amend Chapter 211
of the Revised Statutes, 1989,
the Housing Act, and
Chapter 213 of the Revised Statutes, 1989,
the Housing Nova Scotia Act
1 This Act may be cited as the Safer Homes Act.
- (g) "municipality" means a municipality as defined in the Municipal Government Act.
- 23A (1) A housing authority shall ensure that the housing it operates and manages
(b) complies with any by-laws of the municipality in which the housing is situated that are made under subsection 181(1) of the Municipal Government Act or subsection 199(1) of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter.
(2) Where a housing authority is notified or otherwise becomes aware that any housing it operates and manages does not comply with a by-law referred to in clause (1)(b), the housing authority shall remedy the non-compliance within ninety days or such shorter period as may be specified by or under the by-law.
23B (1) A housing authority shall annually prepare and submit to Housing Nova Scotia a report describing the maintenance work performed during the preceding year on the housing operated and managed by the housing authority.
- (xa) prescribing any information that must be included in a report submitted to Housing Nova Scotia by a housing authority;
- 12A When preparing an accountability report to be submitted in accordance with Section 69 of the Finance Act, the Corporation shall include the information contained in a report submitted to it under Section 23C of the Housing Act.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2018 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created September 28, 2018. Send comments to email@example.com.