BILL NO. 14
2nd Session, 62nd General Assembly
63 Elizabeth II, 2014
Gas Distribution Act
The Honourable Andrew Younger
Minister of Energy
First Reading: October 2, 2014
Second Reading: October 7, 2014
Third Reading: October 30, 2014 (LINK TO BILL AS PASSED)
(a) adds definitions of "exempt gas customer" and "exempt gas-delivery system";
(b) updates the definitions of "gas", "gas delivery system" and "Minister"; and
(c) adds an interpretive provision that explains when two exempt gas customers are "closely related" to each other.
Clause 2 provides for a review, within five years of its coming into force, of the legislative and regulatory framework for the distribution of natural gas in Nova Scotia.
(a) prohibits a franchise holder from delivering gas except in accordance with its franchise (e.g., prohibiting a franchise holder from operating an exempt gas-delivery system); and
(b) allows a franchise holder who is already operating an exempt gas-delivery system when these amendments come into force to continue to do so, subject to a right to apply to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board to convert its exempt gas-delivery system, or any part of it, into a (regulated) gas delivery system permitted to be operated under its franchise.
Clause 4 allows a person, on application, to be declared to be an exempt gas customer if the franchise holder with the exclusive right to supply gas to the person is unlikely to be able to deliver gas to the person within a reasonable period and if the Board considers it to be in the public interest to do so.
(a) limits the requirement that a gas marketer possess a licence to marketers of natural gas; and
(b) provides that no licence is required to market natural gas to a prospective exempt gas customer.
Clause 6 adds regulation-making powers to support the definitions of "exempt gas-delivery customer" and "exempt gas-delivery system" and the determination of whether an exempt gas customer is closely related to another exempt gas customer.
1 Section 3 of Chapter 4 of the Acts of 1997, the Gas Distribution Act, as amended by Chapter 18 of the Acts of 2002, is further amended by
2 Section 3A of Chapter 4, as enacted by Chapter 18 of the Acts of 2002, is amended by adding immediately after subsection (2) the following subsection:
3 Chapter 4 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 4 the following Sections:
4B (1) A franchise holder who, immediately before the coming into force of this Section, is delivering gas by an exempt gas-delivery system may continue to deliver gas by the exempt gas-delivery system after the coming into force of this Section.
(2) Where a franchise holder continues to deliver gas by an exempt gas-delivery system as permitted pursuant to subsection (1), the franchise holder may, at any time, apply to the Board to amend its franchise to permit the franchise holder to operate the exempt gas-delivery system, or any portion of it, as part of the franchise holder's gas delivery system.
(3) Where an application is made pursuant to subsection (2), the Board may amend the franchise to permit the franchise holder to operate the exempt gas-delivery system, or any portion of it, as part of the franchise holder's gas delivery system, subject to such terms and conditions as the Board considers appropriate.
(4) For greater certainty, upon the Board amending a franchise to permit the franchise holder to operate an exempt gas-delivery system, or any portion of it, as part of the franchise holder's gas delivery system, the exempt gas-delivery system or the portion of it, as the case may be, ceases to be an exempt gas-delivery system.
EXEMPT GAS CUSTOMER
- 23 (1) A person may apply to the Board to be declared to be an exempt gas customer.
(2) Where the Board determines that a franchise holder is unlikely, within a reasonable period, to be able to deliver gas, within its franchise area and from its gas delivery system, to an applicant under subsection (1), the Board may declare the applicant to be an exempt gas customer if the Board considers it to be in the public interest to do so, subject to such terms and conditions as the Board considers appropriate.
5 Section 24 of Chapter 4, as amended by Chapter 18 of the Acts of 2002, is further amended by
6 Subsection 42(1) of Chapter 4 is amended by relettering clause (a) as clause (ac) and adding immediately before that clause the following clauses:
(aa) prescribing the circumstances in which gas may be delivered to an exempt gas customer, or two or more closely related exempt gas customers, at multiple locations for the purpose of the definition of "exempt gas-delivery system";
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2014 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created November 5, 2014. Send comments to email@example.com.