BILL NO. 103
1st Session, 57th General Assembly
47-48 Elizabeth II, 1998-99
Gaelic College Foundation Act
The Honourable Kenneth MacAskill
First Reading: May 25, 1999
Second Reading: May 27, 1999
Third Reading: June 14, 1999
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 (1) Subsection 6(2) of Chapter 89 of the Acts of 1980, the Gaelic College Foundation Act, is amended by
(a) striking out "twenty persons elected and appointed as follows:" in the first and second lines;
(b) striking out clause (a) and substituting the following clause:
(c) striking out clause (b) and substituting the following clause:
(d) striking out clauses (c) to (g).
(2) Clause (1)(b) comes into force when the number of members of the Board of Governors of the Gaelic College Foundation elected by the members of the Foundation becomes five or less.
(3) Clause (1)(c) comes into force when the number of members of the Board of Governors of the Gaelic College Foundation appointed by the Governor in Council becomes six or less.
(4) Notwithstanding Chapter 89, after the coming into force of this Act, the Governor in Council may not appoint any member to the Board of Governors of the Gaelic College Foundation other than pursuant to clause 6(2)(b) of Chapter 89, as enacted by subsection (1).
(5) Subsection 6(3) of Chapter 89 is repealed.
(6) Subsection 6(4) of Chapter 89 is amended by striking out "six Governors" in the last line and substituting "the number of Governors required by that clause".
(7) Subsection 6(5) of Chapter 89 is repealed.
(8) Subsection 6(6) of Chapter 89 is amended by striking out "the death or resignation of an elected Governor" in the first and second lines and substituting "an elected Governor ceasing to be a member of the Board".
(9) Subsections 6(7) and (8) of Chapter 89 are repealed and the following subsections substituted:
(8) The quorum for a meeting of the Board is a majority of the Governors.
2 Chapter 89 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 7 the following Section:
(2) Each officer of the Board holds office for such term as the Board determines.
(3) The Executive of the Board and each officer of the Board has such powers and shall perform such duties as are conferred or imposed by the by-laws of the Board.
(4) The quorum for a meeting of the Executive of the Board is three members of the Executive.
3 Subsection 10(1) of Chapter 89 is amended by
(a) adding immediately after clause (b) the following clause:
(b) adding immediately after clause (c) the following clause:
4 Chapter 89 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 10 the following Section:
5 Subsection 11(1) of Chapter 89 is amended by striking out "There" in the first line and substituting "No later than July 29th in each year, there".
6 Section 13 of Chapter 89 is amended by striking out "twenty-five members" in the second line and substituting "a simple majority of the members in good standing".
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 1999 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created June 24, 1999. Send comments to email@example.com.