REVISED STATUTES, 1989
1 This Act may be cited as the Social Services Councils Act. R.S., c. 433, s. 1.
2 In this Act,
(a) "Council" means the Nova Scotia Social Services Council;
(b) "Minister" means the Minister of Community Services;
(c) "regional council" means a regional social services council constituted under this Act and includes a council or organization designated by the Minister as a regional council. R.S., c. 433, s. 2.
Nova Scotia Social Services Council
3 (1) A council is hereby constituted, to be known as the Nova Scotia Social Services Council, composed of not less than nine and not more than fifteen persons appointed by the Governor in Council.
Chairman and Vice-chairman
(2) The Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, shall designate one of the members of the Council to be Chairman and one of the members to be Vice-chairman.
Term of office and re-appointment
(3) A person who is appointed as a member of the Council shall serve for a term of two years but a member may be re-appointed. R.S., c. 433, s. 3.
Secretary and chief executive officer
4 (1) The Minister shall appoint a person in the service of the Department of Community Services or in the public service to be the Secretary and chief executive officer of the Council who shall
(a) attend the meetings of the Council and keep and maintain the records of the Council;
(b) provide the stenographic and other services required by the Council;
(c) supervise any projects undertaken by the Council.
Assistance by Department
(2) Any assistance, services, facilities or staff required by the Council in order to carry out the functions or duties assigned to the Council may be provided by the Department of Community Services. R.S., c. 433, s. 4.
Functions and powers of Council
5 (1) It shall be the function of the Council to advise and assist the Minister on any matter relating to social services, including planning for social services, facilities and resources, and the Council shall have power to
(a) at the request of the Minister or the Governor in Council, perform any duty or review and consider any problem that has arisen in or in relation to the field of social services and make recommendations to the Minister or the Governor in Council;
(b) promote interest in the improvement of social services, facilities and resources and assist other organizations and bodies engaged in activities related to social services;
(c) co-ordinate the activities of regional social services councils and advise and assist regional social services councils;
(d) assist and co-ordinate the activities of existing organizations and groups that represent social services agencies and institutions.
(2) The Council may appoint an executive committee and may appoint other committees, consisting of members of the Council or persons who are not members of the Council, and may delegate to a committee such authority as the committee requires to perform its functions or duties. R.S., c. 433, s. 5.
Regions and regional councils
6 (1) The Minister may designate one or more areas of the Province as a region and may constitute a regional council of social services for each region.
Existing body as regional council
(2) The Minister, in lieu of constituting a regional council under subsection (1), may designate an existing social services council or organization as the regional council for a region.
(3) Where a regional council is constituted under subsection (1), the Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may make regulations respecting the membership of a regional council, the functions and powers of a regional council and any other matter related to the constitution and operation of a regional council.
(4) A regional council shall report from time to time to the Minister through the Council.
Agreement where existing body designated
(5) Where a social services council or organization is designated a regional council under subsection (2), the Minister and social services council or organization may make an agreement respecting membership, functions and powers and other matters related to the constitution and operation of the council or organization. R.S., c. 433, s. 6.
Minister may request project
7 (1) The Minister may request the Council, a committee of the Council or a regional council to undertake a project related to social services or the provision of social services, facilities or resources.
Powers respecting project
(2) The Council, a committee of the Council or a regional council that undertakes a project may, with the authority of the Minister, in order to carry out the project,
(a) obtain information from any department, commission or other agency of the Province or from any social services agency or institution;
(b) hold public or restricted hearings or make or conduct inquiries and receive representations or submissions.
Assistance by Minister
(3) The Minister may provide to the Council, a committee of Council or a regional council that undertakes a project, such assistance, facilities, services and resources as may be required to carry out the project.
(4) Upon completion of the project the Council, the committee of Council or the regional council shall make a report to the Minister. R.S., c. 433, s. 7.
Reporting by Council
8 (1) In addition to any other report required by this Act, the Council shall make a report from time to time to the Minister and shall make an annual report to the Minister on the activities of the Council for each year.
Reporting by regional council
(2) Each regional council shall make a report from time to time to the Minister and the Council and shall make an annual report to the Minister and the Council on the activities of the regional council for each year. R.S., c. 433, s. 8.
Source of funds
9 (1) The moneys required for the purposes of the Act may be appropriated by the Legislature or may be paid from the Consolidated Fund.
Remuneration and expenses
(2) The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may prescribe and provide for payment of the remuneration and expenses of members of the Council, a committee of the Council or a regional council. R.S., c. 433, s. 9.