REVISED STATUTES, 1989
1 This Act may be cited as the Parks Development Act. R.S., c. 332, s. 1.
2 In this Act,
(a) "approved campsite" means a campsite approved for financial assistance under this Act;
(b) "local community organization" means an organization, incorporated under any Act of the Legislature, which is active in the municipality;
(c) "local scenic area" means an area approved for financial assistance under this Act;
(d) "Minister" means the Minister of Lands and Forests;
(e) "municipality" means a municipality to which the Municipal Act applies, a city and a town to which the Towns Act applies. R.S., c. 332, s. 2.
3 (1) Subject to the approval of the Governor in Council, the Minister may grant financial assistance to any municipality to assist in the development of an approved campsite.
Maximum financial assistance
(2) The financial assistance in respect of an approved campsite shall not exceed one half of the total cost of development and in no case shall exceed fifteen thousand dollars.
Conditions for financial assistance
(3) No financial assistance shall be granted under this Act unless in the opinion of the Minister there is a need for the approved campsite having regard to its location in relation to other parks in the Province and the camping, picnicking and other facilities provided for the accommodation and enjoyment of the public. R.S., c. 332, s. 3.
Powers of municipality
4 (1) The council of any municipality may provide for the establishment of an approved campsite under this Act and may acquire real and personal property by purchase or otherwise for that purpose.
Agreement among municipalities
(2) The council of any municipality may enter into an agreement with the council or councils of other municipalities for establishing an approved campsite, acquiring real or personal property for that purpose and developing and operating the campsite upon such terms as may be agreed upon by the municipalities.
Municipal Affairs Act
(3) Establishment of an approved campsite shall be a town or municipal purpose for the purpose of the Municipal Affairs Act. R.S., c. 332, s. 4.
Approval of campsite
5 (1) Any municipality or, where there is an agreement under Section 4, municipalities may apply to the Minister for approval of a campsite under this Act.
Duty to file plan and specifications
(2) Where a municipality or municipalities apply to the Minister, the municipality or municipalities shall file with the Minister a plan of the campsite and specifications indicating the development work which will be carried out by the municipality or municipalities.
Duty to furnish additional information
(3) The municipality or municipalities shall furnish any other information required by the Minister.
Condition for approval of Minister
(4) The Minister shall not approve a campsite unless the land constituting the campsite is owned by the municipality or municipalities making application.
Minimum area for campsite
(5) The Minister shall not approve a campsite unless the area of the campsite exceeds twenty-five acres. R.S., c. 332, s. 5.
Agreement with Minister
6 When a campsite is approved under this Act, the Minister on behalf of Her Majesty may enter into an agreement with the council of any municipality or, where there is an agreement under Section 4, the councils of those municipalities for the development of the approved campsite on such terms as may be agreed upon by the Minister and the municipality or municipalities. R.S., c. 332, s. 6.
Approval of disposal of campsite
7 Where financial assistance has been granted under this Act, the approved campsite or any part thereof shall not be sold or disposed of without the approval of the Minister. R.S., c. 332, s. 7.
8 (1) Subject to this Act and the regulations and subject to the approval of the Minister, the council of any municipality that alone or in agreement with another municipality has established an approved campsite may make by-laws
(a) for the care, preservation, improvement, control and management of the campsite and the appointment of a board for that purpose;
(b) regulating and controlling the use of lands in the campsite;
(c) prohibiting or regulating and controlling the use or keeping of birds and animals in the campsite;
(d) prohibiting or regulating and controlling the erection, posting or other display of notices, signs, sign-boards and other advertising devices in the campsite;
(e) prohibiting or regulating and controlling the use, setting out and extinguishment of fires in the campsite;
(f) prohibiting or regulating and controlling pedestrian, vehicular, boat or air traffic in the campsite;
(g) prohibiting or regulating, controlling and licensing trades, businesses, amusements, sports, occupations and other activities or undertakings in the campsite;
(h) prescribing fees to be payable for the use of any facilities provided in the campsite;
(i) prescribing the maximum periods of stay of persons, vehicles, boats, vessels or aircraft in the campsite;
(j) prescribing fees to be payable for entrance into the campsite of persons, vehicles, boats and aircraft;
(k) respecting any matter necessary or advisable to carry out effectively the intent and purpose of this Act.
Municipal Act and Towns Act
(2) The provisions of the Municipal Act and the Towns Act shall apply mutatis mutandis to any by-law passed under this Section. R.S., c. 332, s. 8.
Financial assistance to develop scenic area
9 (1) Where
(a) a local community organization wishes to initiate and carry out a project of local improvement by constructing and developing trails, scenic waterfalls, streams or other local scenic or picnic areas; and
(b) that organization and the municipality in which the local scenic area is located agree to each provide twenty-five per cent of the cost of such construction and development,
the Minister may, subject to the approval of the Governor in Council, grant financial assistance to any such municipality or local community organization.
Maximum financial assistance
(2) Financial assistance granted under subsection (1) shall not exceed fifty per cent of the total cost of construction and development and in no case shall exceed twenty-five hundred dollars. R.S., c. 332, s. 9.
Condition for financial assistance
10 (1) The Minister shall not grant financial assistance under Section 9 unless the municipality or the local community organization
(a) owns; or
(b) holds a lease, for the twenty years next after the date on which assistance is requested, on,
the land constituting the local scenic area.
Approval of disposal of local scenic area
(2) Where financial assistance has been granted under Section 9, the local scenic area or any part thereof shall not be sold or disposed of, other than by the expiration of a lease, without the approval of the Minister. R.S., c. 332, s. 10.
11 The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting any matter necessary or advisable to carry out the intent and purpose of this Act and the more effective administration thereof. R.S., c. 332, s. 11.