BILL NO. 223
2nd Session, 63rd General Assembly
69 Elizabeth II, 2020
University Foundations Act
The Honourable Labi Kousoulis
Minister of Labour and Advanced Education
First Reading: February 21, 2020
Second Reading: February 27, 2020
Third Reading: March 5, 2020 (WITH COMMITTEE AMENDMENTS) (LINK TO BILL AS PASSED)
Clause 1 amends the University Foundations Act to
Clause 2 updates the name of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia.
(a) dissolves the university foundations associated with the Atlantic School of Theology, Dalhousie University, Mount Saint Vincent University, Saint Mary's University, St. Francis Xavier University, the Université Saint-Anne and the University of King's College;
Clause 4 amends the definition of "university" in the University Pension Plan Transfer Act to remove a cross-reference to the University Foundations Act.
Clause 5 provides that this Act comes into force upon proclamation.
1 (1) Subsection 12(1) of Chapter 8 of the Acts of 1991, the University Foundations Act, is amended by
- (c) such other financial reports or information related to the foundation as may be required by the Minister of Labour and Advanced Education.
2 Subsection 13(2) of Chapter 8 is amended by striking out "Trial Division of the Supreme Court" in the second line and substituting "Supreme Court of Nova Scotia".
3 Chapter 8 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 15 the following Section:
- 15A (1) In this Section, "former foundations" means the following foundations established by this Act:
(5) All contracts, agreements or orders relating to or fixing the amount of compensation, remuneration or fees to be paid to the members referred in subsection (3) and to officers, employees and auditors referred to in subsection (4) are void.
(9) In any enactment or document, including any deed, lease, agreement, will, trust, debenture or document evidencing a gift or bequest, a reference to a former foundation, whether by official name or otherwise, is deemed to be a reference to the university for which the former foundation was established.
4 Section 2 of Chapter 12 of the Acts of 2015, the University Pension Plan Transfer Act, is amended by striking out clause (t) and substituting the following clause:
- (t) "university" means Acadia University, the Atlantic School of Theology, Cape Breton University, Dalhousie University, Mount Saint Vincent University, the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, Saint Mary's University, St. Francis Xavier University, the University of King's College, Université Sainte-Anne and any other educational institution prescribed by the regulations.
5 This Act comes into force on such day as the Governor in Council orders and declares by proclamation.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2020 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created March 10, 2020. Send comments to email@example.com.