BILL NO. 93
2nd Session, 63rd General Assembly
68 Elizabeth II, 2019
Private Member's Bill
First Reading: March 5, 2019
Clause 1 defines "Gaelic education".
Clause 2 makes the Chair of the Council on Gaelic Education a member of the Parental Advisory Council on Education.
Clause 3 establishes the Council on Gaelic Education and sets out rules for its operation.
Clauses 4 and 5 allow for regulations respecting the Council on Gaelic Education.
Clause 6 provides that no money may be spent implementing this Bill unless the Legislature provides money for that purpose.
An Act to Amend Schedule A
of Chapter 1 of the Acts of 2018,
the Education Act,
Respecting a Council on Gaelic Education
1 Section 3 of Schedule A of Chapter 1 of the Acts of 2018, the Education Act, is amended by adding immediately after clause (i) the following clause:
- (ia) "Gaelic education" means programs, resources and learning materials that provide information about and promote understanding of Gaelic people and their history, heritage, culture, traditions and contributions to society, recognizing their origins as Gaels;
2 Section 11 of Schedule A is amended by
- (ca) the Chair of the Council on Gaelic Education or such other member of the Council as may be designated by its members; and
3 Schedule A of Chapter 1 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 20 the following heading and Sections:
- 20A (1) The Council on Gaelic Education is hereby established.
(a) promote the rights and interests of Gaelic Nova Scotians by providing recommendations to the Minister on programs and services in public schools and to the Minister of Labour and Advanced Education on post-secondary and adult education;
(6) A member of the Council on Gaelic Education is entitled to such remuneration and to be reimbursed for such reasonable expenses necessarily incurred in carrying out the member's duties, as is prescribed by the regulations.
4 Subsection 97(1) of Schedule A of Chapter 1 is amended by adding immediately after clause (h) the following clause:
- (ha) after consultation with the Council on Gaelic Education, respecting the Council on Gaelic Education;
- (ha) respecting the remuneration of and reimbursement for expenses incurred by members of the Council on Gaelic Education;
6 The money required for the purpose of this Act must be paid out of money appropriated for that purpose by the Legislature.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2019 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created March 5, 2019. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.