BILL NO. 110
1st Session, 63rd General Assembly
67 Elizabeth II, 2018
Private Member's Bill
Truro–Bible Hill–Salmon River
First Reading: April 4, 2018
Clauses 1 and 2 allow the Minister of Environment to choose who prepares focus reports and environmental assessments. Clause 2 also requires the consideration in environmental assessments of the impact of climate change.
Clause 3 deems certain classes of undertakings to be Class II undertakings as defined in the regulations.
Clause 4 allows the Governor in Council to make regulations for a program providing funding to assist members of the public and organizations of members of the public in participating in review panels.
Clause 5 makes financial or other security or the carrying of insurance mandatory.
Clause 6 provides that money required for the purpose of the Act is to be paid out of money appropriated for that purpose by the Legislature.
1 Subsection 35(2) of Chapter 1 of the Acts of 1994-95, the Environment Act, is repealed and the following subsections substituted:
- (2) The Minister shall, in consultation with the proponent, choose and instruct a person to undertake the necessary study for the preparation of the focus report and submit the report to the Minister and the proponent.
- (e) choose and instruct the person who is to prepare the environmental-assessment report in consultation with the proponent.
- (2) Terms of reference prepared in accordance with clause (1)(a) must include consideration of the impact of the undertaking on climate change.
- (2A) The following classes of undertakings are deemed to be Class II undertakings as defined in the regulations:
4 Subsection 49(1) of Chapter 1, as amended by Chapter 30 of the Acts of 2006 and Chapter 61 of the Acts of 2011, is further amended by adding immediately after clause (l) the following clause:
- (la) respecting a program of funding to assist members of the public and organizations of members of the public in participating in review panels and joint assessments;
5 Subsection 65A(1) of Chapter 1, as enacted by Chapter 61 of the Acts of 2011, is amended by striking out "Where required by the regulations, a" in the first line and substituting "A".
6 The money required for the purpose of this Act must be paid out of money appropriated for that purpose by the Legislature.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2018 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created April 4, 2018. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.