BILL NO. 136
2nd Session, 62nd General Assembly
64 Elizabeth II, 2015
Motor Vehicle Act
The Honourable Geoff MacLellan
Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
First Reading: November 26, 2015
Second Reading: November 27, 2015
Third Reading: December 4, 2015 (LINK TO BILL AS PASSED)
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:1 Section 2 of Chapter 293 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Motor Vehicle Act, as amended by Chapter 24 of the Acts of 1994, Chapter 12 of the Acts of 1994-95, Chapter 23 of the Acts of 1995-96, Chapter 12 of the Acts of 2001, Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2002, Chapter 42 of the Acts of 2004, Chapter 35 of the Acts of 2006, Chapters 20 and 45 of the Acts of 2007, Chapter 21 of the Acts of 2008, Chapters 59 and 60 of the Acts of 2010, Chapter 35 of the Acts of 2011 and Chapters 20 and 53 of the Acts of 2014, is further amended by
- (4) No person who is under the age of sixteen years shall operate a personal transporter on a highway except
(a) a person at least fourteen years of age participating in a tour if the tour operator has the written consent of the person's parent; or
(b) under such circumstances as are prescribed by the regulations.
- 85A (1) For the purpose of this Act, where a personal transporter is operated on a roadway, the operator of the personal transporter is deemed to be a cyclist and, where a personal transporter is operated on a sidewalk, the operator is deemed to be a pedestrian.
(2) Every person shall at all times when operating a personal transporter exercise care and caution.
(3) Every person shall have identification in the person's possession at all times when operating a personal transporter on a highway and shall
(a) display the same; and
(b) provide the person's address and date of birth,
at all reasonable times on the demand of a peace officer.
(4) Sections 97 and 98, except the requirement to exhibit a driver's license, apply to the operator of a personal transporter whether the personal transporter is being operated on a roadway or on a sidewalk.
(5) Sections 119 and 122 and subsection 171(4) do not apply to the operator of a personal transporter on a highway.
5 Subsection 100D(1) of Chapter 293, as enacted by Chapter 45 of the Acts of 2007, is amended by adding "or operating a personal transporter on a roadway or a sidewalk" immediately after "highway" in the last line.
- (3) No person shall at any time operate a personal transporter at a speed in excess of
(a) twenty kilometres per hour on a roadway; or
(b) seven kilometres per hour on a sidewalk.
(2) Where a sidewalk or roadway within a municipality is not part of a highway to which the Public Highways Act applies, the municipality may make a by-law prohibiting the operation of a personal transporter on that sidewalk or roadway.
(b) where the highway does not include a sidewalk or where it is impracticable to operate the personal transporter on the sidewalk, on the roadway in a bicycle lane travelling in the same direction that the operator of the personal transporter is travelling; or
(c) where the highway does not include a sidewalk or there is no bicycle lane for travelling in the same direction that the operator of the personal transporter is travelling or where it is impracticable to operate the personal transporter on the sidewalk or in the bicycle lane, on the far right side of the roadway.
(5) Except when passing a cyclist or another personal transporter, the operator of a personal transporter on a highway shall operate the personal transporter in a single file with bicycles and other personal transporters.
(6) The operator of a personal transporter shall not make a left turn on a roadway except by crossing the roadway in a crosswalk and, for greater certainty, Section 125 applies to the operator as a pedestrian.
12 Section 183 of Chapter 293, as amended by Chapter 31 of the Acts of 1993, Chapter 25 of the Acts of 1994 and Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2014, is further amended by adding immediately after subsection (5) the following subsection:
(b) is missing a component, equipment or other feature that was part of the personal transporter when it was manufactured or that is required by this Act or has such feature rendered wholly or partly inoperable; or
14 Section 292 of Chapter 293, as enacted by Chapter 10 of the Acts of 2002 and amended by Chapter 8 of the Acts of 2005, Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2007 and Chapter 53 of the Acts of 2014, is further amended by
15 Section 293 of Chapter 293, as enacted by Chapter 10 of the Acts of 2002 and amended by Chapter 8 of the Acts of 2005, Chapters 20 and 45 of the Acts of 2007, Chapter 62 of the Acts of 2008, Chapters 61 and 63 of the Acts of 2010 and Chapter 53 of the Acts of 2014, is further amended by
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2015 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created December 10, 2015. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.