BILL NO. 18
1st Session, 62nd General Assembly
62 Elizabeth II, 2013
Black Cultural Society Act
The Honourable Keith Colwell
First Reading: December 5, 2013
Clause 2 revises the titles of the officers of the Society and provides that all will be elected from among the Board of Directors.
Clause 3 adds by-law making powers for the Board of Directors.
Clause 4 changes the word "mailed" to "delivered" and sets the quorum for meetings of the Society.
Clause 5 changes the time frame for the annual meeting from within two months of the Society's fiscal year end to 120 days.
Clause 6 repeals a former amending Act which was never proclaimed in force.
Clause 7 provides for the transition to the terms contained in this Bill.
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 (1) Subsection 5(1) of Chapter 101 of the Acts of 1977, the Black Cultural Society Act, is repealed and the following subsection substituted:
- (1) There shall be a Board of Directors composed of up to twelve members, who are members in good standing of the Society, as follows:
(a) one member resident in the Halifax Regional Municipality;
(b) one member resident in the area comprising the Counties of Colchester, Pictou and Cumberland;
(c) one member resident in Cape Breton Island;
(d) one member resident in the area comprising the Counties of Hants, Kings and Annapolis;
(e) one member resident in the area comprising the Counties of Shelburne, Lunenburg and Queens;
(f) one member resident in the area comprising the Counties of Yarmouth and Digby;
(g) one member resident in the area comprising the Counties of Antigonish and Guysborough;
(h) five members at large.
(2) Subsection 5(2) of Chapter 101, as amended by Chapter 98 of the Acts of 1980, is further amended by
(a) adding ", subject to subsection (3)," immediately after "and" in the second line; and
(b) striking out "until the conclusion of the next annual meeting" in the third line and substituting "for a term of three years".
(3) Subsection 5(3) of Chapter 101 is repealed and the following subsection substituted:
- (3) For the year 2014 only, the first two directors elected at the annual meeting shall hold office for one year and the next two directors elected shall hold office for two years.
- (7) A meeting of the Board of Directors or any subcommittee of the Board may be held, or a Director or the President may participate in a meeting of the Board or a subcommittee of the Board, by telephone or video conference call, and a Director participating in a meeting by such means is deemed to be present at the meeting, is counted in determining whether a quorum is present and is eligible to vote.
2 Section 7 of Chapter 101 is repealed and the following Section substituted:
3 Subsection 9(2) of Chapter 101, as amended by Chapter 98 of the Acts of 1980, is further amended by
4 (1) Subsection 10(1) of Chapter 101 is amended by striking out "mailed" in the third line and substituting "delivered".
5 Section 12 of Chapter 101 is amended by striking out "two months" in the last line and substituting "120 days".
6 Chapter 102 of the Acts of 1986, An Act Respecting the Black Cultural Society and to Repeal Chapter 101 of the Acts of 1977, the Black Cultural Society Act, is repealed.
7 This Act has effect on and after the day on which the annual meeting of the Black Cultural Society for the year 2014 is held.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2013 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created December 5, 2013. Send comments to email@example.com.