BILL NO. 255
2nd Session, 60th General Assembly
58 Elizabeth II, 2009
The Honourable Barry Barnet
Minister of Energy
First Reading: May 1, 2009
Clause 1 changes the long title of the Pipeline Act.
(a) adds a definition of "flow line";
(b) repeals the definition of "gas pipeline" and adds definitions of "gas distribution system" and "gathering line";
(c) repeals the definition of "installation";
(d) changes the definition of "oil";
(e) changes the definition of "pipeline" and adds a definition of "pipeline system"; and
(f) repeals the definition of "transmission" and adds definitions of "transportation" and "well".
Clause 3 removes the specific reference to a gas pipeline from the power of the Governor in Council to exempt pipelines from the application of the Act.
Clause 4 removes from Section 5 of the Act a reference to pipelines excluded from the application of the Act that specifies that the Act does not apply to certain types of pipelines.
Clause 5 removes the specific reference to a gas pipeline from the reference to pipelines over which the Utility and Review Board controls construction, testing, operation and maintenance.
Clause 6 adds Sections to the Act respecting the powers of the Utility and Review Board to make and enforce various types of orders and directions.
Clause 7 changes the provisions respecting applications for permits.
Clause 8 replaces references to "transmission" of substances with "transportation".
Clause 9 removes references to "oil, gas, water or other" substances from Section 18 of the Act and changes a reference from "facilities" to "pipeline".
Clause 10 changes the provision that a holder of a license shall not "suspend or discontinue" operation of a pipeline to a provision that the holder shall not "deactivate" operation of a pipeline.
Clause 11 changes the provision respecting the finality of decisions of the Utility and Review Board to reflect new definitions used in this Act.
Clause 12 replaces a reference to "transmission" of substances with "transportation".
Clause 13 amends various regulation-making powers to
(d) striking out references to installations and equipment in several provisions and adding new regulation-making powers respecting gathering lines, gas distributions systems, pipelines for gas or gas-free liquids and the establishment of a schedule of administrative penalties by the Utility and Review Board.
Clause 14 provides that this Bill comes into force upon proclamation.
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 The title of Chapter 345 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, is changed from "An Act Respecting the Transmission of Oil and Gas" to "An Act Respecting the Transportation of Oil and Gas".
2 Subsection 3(1) of Chapter 345, as amended by Chapter 12 of the Acts of 2000 and Chapter 15 of the Acts of 2001, is further amended by
- (aa) "flow line" means a pipeline used to convey oil, gas, water or another fluid between a well and a field facility, including a valve outlet connecting the pipeline to a gathering line or transmission line;
- (c) "gas distribution system" means the distribution and service pipelines and associated control devices through which gas is transported from a transmission line or gas field to the outlet of a customer's meter set;
- (i) "oil" means a mixture composed mainly of pentanes and heavier hydrocarbons, that may contain sulphur compounds, is recovered or recoverable at a well from a pool and is liquid in the conditions under which its volume is measured or estimated, but does not include natural gas liquids;
- (k) "pipeline" means a line that is used or to be used for the transportation of petroleum industry fluids and includes
- (i) pipe, components and any appurtenances attached thereto, including the isolating valves used at stations and other facilities,
- (o) "transportation" includes storage within a pipeline system, but does not include storage in
- (i) a storage reservoir, as defined in the Underground Hydrocarbons Storage Act, or
3 Clause 4(1)(b) of Chapter 345 is amended by striking out "including a gas pipeline" in the third line.
4 Section 5 of Chapter 345, as amended by Chapter 12 of the Acts of 2000, is further amended by
5 Clause 6(a) of Chapter 345 is amended by striking out "including gas pipelines" in the second line.
6 Chapter 345 is further amended by adding immediately after Section 6 the following Sections:
- 6A Where it appears to the Board that any person is not complying with any provision of this Act or the regulations, with the terms or conditions of any permit or licence or with an order made under this Act, notwithstanding the imposition of any penalty in respect of such non-compliance and in addition to any other remedy available to the Board, the Board may, by order,
6B Where under this Act the Board may make or issue any order or direction or prescribe any terms or conditions or do any other thing in relation to any person, the Board may do so either generally or in any particular case or class of cases.
(a) any permit, licence or order or part thereof come into force at a future time or on the happening of any event, contingency or condition, or upon the satisfactory performance of a requirement imposed by the Board that is set out in the permit, licence or order; and
6D On any application made to the Board, the Board may make a decision or order granting the whole or part only of the application, or may grant such further or other relief in addition to or in place of that applied for as the Board considers appropriate, to the same extent as if the applications had been for such partial or related relief.
7 Section 8 of Chapter 345 is repealed and the following Section substituted:
- 8 (1) Any person may apply in the prescribed manner to the Board for a permit to construct a pipeline or a part thereof.
(2) Where a person applies to the Board to construct or expand a gas distribution system, the permit issued by the Board may be for pipeline construction within all or part of the applicant's distribution franchise area and may be for such duration as the Board determines.
8 (1) Subsection 14(1) of Chapter 345 is amended by striking out "transmission" in the second line and substituting "transportation".
9 Section 18 of Chapter 345, as amended by Chapter 15 of the Acts of 2001, is further amended by
10 Section 19 of Chapter 345, as amended by Chapter 15 of the Acts of 2001, is further amended by striking out "suspend or discontinue" in the first and second lines and substituting "deactivate".
11 Section 41 of Chapter 345 is repealed and the following Section substituted:
- 41 A decision of the Board respecting a substance that may be transported in a pipeline or whether a pipeline is a transmission line, distribution line, gathering line or otherwise is final.
12 Section 43 of Chapter 345, as amended by Chapter 15 of the Acts of 2001, is further amended by striking out "transmission" in the third line and substituting "transportation".
13 Subsection 44(1) of Chapter 345, as amended by Chapter 12 of the Acts of 2000 and Chapter 15 of the Acts of 2001, is further amended by
- (oa) pipelines proposed or built and maintained as gathering lines, flow lines or gas distribution systems and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, setting additional or different standards for gathering lines, flow lines or gas distribution systems as distinguished from transmission pipelines;
- (i) gas in which the hydrogen sulphide gas partial pressure exceeds 0.30 kPa at the design pressure, or
- (we) the establishment of a schedule of administrative penalties by the Board for the purpose of encouraging and enforcing compliance with this Act and the regulations;
14 This Act comes into force on such day as the Governor in Council orders and declares by proclamation.
This page and its contents published by the Office of the Legislative Counsel, Nova Scotia House of Assembly, and © 2009 Crown in right of Nova Scotia. Created May 1, 2009. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.