1st Session, 57th General Assembly
47 Elizabeth II, 1998
John F. Hamm, M.D.
First Reading: October 26, 1998
Second Reading: November 9, 1998
Private and Local Bills committee: November 16, 1998
Third Reading: November 17, 1998 (WITH COMMITTEE AMENDMENTS)
Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 Chapter 32 of the Acts of 1991, the Pictou Regional Development Commission Act, is amended by adding immediately after Section 4 the following Section:
(2) To assist the Commission in carrying out its objects during the fiscal year that immediately succeeds the fiscal year during which an estimate is delivered to a municipal unit pursuant to subsection (1), the municipal unit may grant to the Commission an amount of money that is equal to that proportion of the amount set out in the estimate that the population of that municipal unit, at the time of the grant, bears to the total population of all the municipal units at the time of the grant.
(3) A grant is not made by a municipal unit pursuant to subsection (2) in order to assist the Commission in carrying out its objects during a fiscal year unless the grant is approved by the municipal unit prior to the beginning of that fiscal year.
(4) A grant that is made pursuant to subsection (2) to assist the Commission in carrying out its objects during a fiscal year is deemed, for the purpose of subsection 5(1A), to have been made for that fiscal year.
2 (1) Clause 2(1)(g) of Section 5 of Chapter 32 is amended by adding "at least" immediately before "seven" in the first line.
(2) Section 5 is further amended by adding immediately after subsection (1) the following subsection:
(a) one member of the Council of each of the municipal units that has made a grant to the Commission for that fiscal year; and
(b) at least seven other persons appointed by those persons referred to in clause (a).
3 (1) Subsection 12(1) of Chapter 32 is amended by striking out "grant or" in the second line.
(2) Subsection 12(2) of Chapter 32 is amended by adding "Section 4A or" immediately after "of" in the second line.