Be it enacted by the Governor and Assembly as follows:
1 Chapter 293 of the Revised Statutes, 1989, the Motor Vehicle Act, is amended by adding immediately after Section 170 the following Section:
170A (1) In this Section, "bicycle" includes any device designated to transport passengers and to be drawn by a bicycle.
(2) No person shall ride on or operate a bicycle on a highway or on any property where the operation of bicycles is permitted unless the person is wearing a bicycle helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin.
(3) No parent or guardian of a person under sixteen years of age shall authorize or knowingly permit that person to ride on or operate a bicycle on a highway or on any property where the operation of bicycles is permitted unless the person is wearing a bicycle helmet as required by subsection (2).
(4) Every person who is sixteen years of age or older who violates a provision of this Section is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars.
(5) A peace officer may seize and detain, for a period not to exceed thirty days, a bicycle that is being ridden on or operated by a person not wearing a helmet as required by subsection (2).
(6) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) prescribing standards and specifications for helmets;
(b) providing for and requiring the identification and marking of helmets;
(c) exempting any person or class of persons from the requirements of this Section and prescribing conditions for exemptions.
(7) The exercise by the Governor in Council of the authority contained in subsection (6) is regulations within the meaning of the Regulations Act.
2 This Act comes into force on such day as the Governor in Council orders and declares by proclamation.